Monday, January 23, 2012

Rich Cocoa Butter Cream

Cocoa Butter Cream

My skin has decided this week to freak out about winter. It's practically the end of January and my skin apparently only just noticed. Maybe it was the big snow (well big for Victoria) we had last week, but now my skin is all dry and thirsty. It reminded me that I had been meaning to make some cocoa butter cream for ages. It's really rich and moisturizing-it's the moisturizer equivalent of hot tea on a snowy day. It smells wonderful, light and cocoa-butter-beeswax-y. It'll fix you right up. It is oily and greasy though, which is something that you might not be used if you normally buy comercial skin creams. It took me a really long time to think it was a good idea to put oil on my skin after reading that it causes acne when I was younger. I am converted now though. 
Bees Wax
I love working with bees wax; it smells so good it makes me a little giddy. I usually buy it in large blocks and shave it with a vegetable peeler. You can buy it in little pellets that are easier to work with as well.

Coco Butter

I use almond oil in my cream, it is light and has very little scent. You can use any mild oil you like,  olive oil makes very nice cream as well. Use light olive oil, not strong flavoured, darker, fruity olive oils. Their smell is really overpowering and drowns the mild sweet cocoa butter-bees wax smell. You can use rosewater or a hydrosol in place of the water and you can add essential oils if you like. This recipe is just a guideline; you can trick your cream out any way you like. 





 Lovely Rich Rosie Cream

½ cup + 1 tbs oil 
3 tbs beeswax
1 tbs coco butter
 3 tbs water

Melt the oil, beeswax and cocoa butter over low heat. When they are melted, remove from heat, and whisk occasionally until cooled slightly. Beat the oils in a mixer (or whisk by hand) and slowly add water. The solution may appear to seize or solidify but never fear!  Continue with enthusiastic whisking. The mixture should emulsify and thicken shortly. 

This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. I usually make at least a double batch. 
Mix Mix Mix


Use your cocoa butter cream on dry skin everywhere. It may seem crazy greasy to put on your face at first, but it is fantastic for very dry skin. Start out with just a tiny bit on your face and really rub it in. It soaks in and it's really not all that oily after a minute. 
Starting to Thicken

No comments:

Post a Comment