Sunday, December 1, 2013

apple cinnamon baked oatmeal


My life is significantly better if I have prepared enough breakfast for a few days. I'm not so great at the morning portion of life and I tend to be running perpetually late. It is a great comfort during these moments to know that there is a tasty, healthy, portable breakfast waiting for me. It doesn't stop me from my usual morning flailing search for my keys and the other shoe to go with the one on my foot.

But it does slightly balm my nerves to have something to eat once I find everything.




I like baked oatmeal because it is highly adaptable. I tend to throw in lots of nuts and seeds, whatever spices I feel like and lots of fruit, odds and ends of different bags of frozen berries-whatever is in the cupboard and fridge. Adapt as you see fit. 



apple cinnamon baked oatmeal:

  • 1/4 cup honey 
    2 tbs coconut oil
    3 eggs
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    1 cup milk 
    2 cups rolled oats 
    2 tbs hemp seeds 
    2 tbs chia seeds 
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp baking powder
    3 apples, thinly sliced
    2 tbs dark brown sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon 
    1/4 cup walnuts roughly chopped 
  1. In a small saucepan, melt honey and coconut together over low heat. Remove from heat and add milk, yogurt and eggs.
  2. Combine oats, hemp seeds, chia seeds 1/2 tsp cinnamon and baking powder. Mix with the liquid ingredients. 
  3. Pour 2/3 of the mixture into a rectangular baking dish. Layer half of sliced apples onto the mixture and top with the remaining oat mixture. 
  4. Top with the remaining apple slices. Combine two tablespoons of brown sugar with remaining cinnamon and sprinkle over oatmeal. Top with chopped walnuts. 
  5. Bake at 350f for 35 minutes, or until the oatmeal is set and golden brown on top. Slice oatmeal into squares. Serve warm, with milk, or a dollop of yogurt if you like. 




Photo credits: Tyrel Hiebert

No comments:

Post a Comment